Vortex Air Fryer Shepard’s Pie
This is one of my family’s favorites – Shepard’s Pie!
This is actually a pretty easy meal to make and only takes about 30 minutes total! This time I made it using a spring pan, you could easily use any pan you have that will fit in the air fryer!
Cook the potatoes and then cook the ground beef mixture. I actually like to use my Instant Pot for both of these if I am making pieces of this recipe ahead of time. This time I used my Instant Pot for the potatoes, while I cooked the meat mixture.
NOTE – you can easily substitute instant potatoes to speed this recipe up!
Gather your ingredients and start to build your pie. Beef first…
Then English peas…
Then your potatoes…
Smooth the potatoes until they are flat on top.
Top with cheese. Normally we use cheddar but I only had Mexican so that is what I used!
Cook for 20 minutes. We like gooey cheese not crispy. If you like crisp cheese, turn the Vortex to broil for the last few minutes. Make sure to watch it!
Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes if you use a spring pan. You only need to let it set a few if you use a regular pan!
- Vortex Air Fryer
- Instant Pot
- 3-4 russet potatoes You could use instant mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup milk for potatoes
- 2 ounces unsalted butter for potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots peeled and diced small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Beef Bullion Better than Buillion
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen English peas
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Peel the potatoes. Put one cup water and the potatoes in the Instant Pot. Set to manual and cook for 10 minutes, natural release. Once done, drain water. Add milk and butter and mash. Could use regular pot if you don't have an Instant pot.
- In a small bowl, mix the bullion and water.
- Heat the oil in a pan or your Instnat Pot. Add the onion, garlic, and ground beef. Add carrots and cook until done. Drain if necessary.
- Sprinkle the beef with the flour and mix until coated. Add the Worcestershire and bullion mix. Stir until incorporated. Set aside.
- Take your pan and fill the bottom with the beef mixture. Top with the peas and then top with the potatoes. Sprinkle the top with cheddar cheese.