Vortex Air Fryer Scalloped Potatoes
These air fryer scalloped potatoes are super yummy and easy to make!
Simply create the sauce and dice the potatoes. Cover and bake!
- Vortex Air Fryer
- Frying Pan
- Pyrex Dish
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 large onion diced
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cups milk or heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth enough to cover the potatoes
- 6 new red potatoes medium size - sliced about ⅛" thick
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the sauce, melt butter, onion and garlic over medium low heat. Cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Combine milk and broth. Add a small amount at a time whisking to thicken. The mixture will become very thick, continue adding a little bit of liquid at a time whisking until smooth.
- Once all of the liquid has been added, bring to a boil over medium heat while continuing to whisk. Stir in salt and pepper and let boil 1 minute.
- Grease a 4"x6" baking dish or one that will fit in your air fryer. Place ⅓ of the potatoes in the bottom and season with salt and pepper. Pour ⅓ of the cream sauce sauce over top.
- Repeat layers ending with cream sauce. Cover with tin foil and bake for 15 minutes at 350 on BAKE
- Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until golden brown and potatoes are tender.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
What is the Difference Between Scalloped and Au Gratin Potatoes?
The most common difference is that scalloped potatoes are cooked in cream and au gratin potatoes are baked with cheese.
Can you slice potatoes ahead of time for scalloped potatoes?
Yes if sliced and then placed into a pot of cold water, bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes till the slices have a rubbery consistency, this blanching will help stop the oxidation process.
Do you peel scalloped potatoes?
It is not necessary to peel the potatoes when using Yukon Gold or Baby Potatoes. If using Russet Potatoes, be sure to peel your potatoes as the skins are tough.
Can You Freeze Scalloped Potatoes?
These potatoes will keep in the fridge for about 4 days and reheat well in the microwave! If you want to freeze them longer, yes, scalloped potatoes can be frozen!