Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies
This time we have the Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies!
They are incredibly delicious, super crispy, totally full with apple and cinnamon and so so easy to make.
I went ahead and made the pie crust from scratch (so I included the recipe) however you can also use store-bought pie crust to keep this recipe even easier and faster.
I found that you totally need to brush the pies with oil before placing them in the air fryer if you really want them to be evenly golden brown and crispy. I first tried just drizzling them with oil but they only got golden brown where the oil had touched them.
- Vortex Air Fryer
For the crust:
- 2 ½ Cups flour
- ¼ Cup shortening
- ⅔ Cups butter
- 8 Tbsp cold water
For the filling:
- 1 Cup diced apple
- 1 Tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp oil
- Preheat the air fryer on "bake" to 350 degrees
- Prepare the crust: In a bowl combine flour with shortening. Pinch until incorporated.
- Add butter and continue pinching until mixture resembles coarse sand. Slowly incorporate water.
- Gently shape the pastry into a mass. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge. Flour your working surface and with the help of a rolling pin, roll the dough. With the help of a cookie cutter or a bowl cut out small circles.
- Prepare the filling: In a bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Assembly the hand pies: Scoop around 2 Tbsp of filling in the center of the small circle. Was the edge with water and close. Repeat the process with the rest.
- Cut out small vents and brush with oil.
- Place in an air fryer at 350 degrees. Air fry for 5 minutes